It’s wintertime, and the livin’ ain’t easy—for our hair, skin, and nails, that is. Whipping winds, dry air, and chilly temps can really do a number on soft skin and hair. Cold air outside and central heat indoors can strip moisture from strands and pores, making hair rough and skin itchy and dry.
Here are 6 quick tips that will help you maintain healthy, beautiful hair this season:
- Hydrate More. It is common knowledge that we need to moisturize our body and face during the winter season, but most people do not think about adding more moisture to their hair. The best hair care moisturizer is argan oil. Argan oil is an effective hair moisturizer for both men and women. The healing power of argan oil is quite amazing too. Due to the richness of the oil, it effectively conditions human hair. This oil also has therapeutic properties as it is rich with both Vitamin A and E. The trocopherol from the vitamin E boosts the cell production and regeneration beautifully. Thus, tropical application of the oil improves the texture of human hair. The keratin of hair gets nourished wonderfully when argan oil penetrates the hair shafts and follicles.
Another important factor that makes this oil very nutritious and effective is its anti-oxidative properties. Because this oil is packed with anti-oxidants and fatty acids such as the omega-6 fatty acid and linoleic acid, the oil moisturizes the hair wonderfully. That makes it a good treatment for aging, damaged, and color treated hair too. The H&H Hair Science Moisturizing Argan Oil Shampoo, Conditioner and Treatment are ideal for everyday use during the winter season as well as year round for dry, brittle hair.
- Wash less. Hair needs a little extra TLC during wintertime. Shampooing strips moisture from the scalp and hair, so wash strands every other day. Everyone’s hair is different—if washing once or twice a week is normal for you, consider adding sometime between shampoos to take dry winter conditions into account. Shampoo with a gentle, hydrating shampoo like our H&H Hair Science Moisturizing Argan Oil Shampoo that is sulfate and sodium chloride free and contains argan oil, the best hair care moisturizing ingredient. Don’t skip the conditioner. Condition your hair every time you shower with the H&H Hair Science Moisturizing Argan Oil Conditioner to lock in moisture and condition the scalp.
To prevent breakage or other damage, avoid blow-drying and brushing hair when wet because those locks are most delicate when waterlogged. If strands are really parched, comb hair with a few drops of the H&H Hair Science Argan Oil Treatment and a wide-tooth comb after showering.
- Protect Daily. One very simple tip is to wear a hat when out as it keeps your hair covered from the wind, rain and snow. But as we all know; no woman wants the dreaded “hat” hair. A great way to avoid this is to wrap your hair in a silk scarf before putting on your cozy, wool beanie. This will help protect your hair from damage caused by the hat rubbing against your hair and it also cuts down on the static.
Use a shampoo and conditioner that has built in natural UV absorbers and protectants. These protect your hair from damaging UVA and UVB rays. UVA and UVB protection is important all year long. All of our H&H Hair Science shampoo, conditioners and treatments contain natural UV absorbers and protectants.
- Deep Condition Weekly. During the winter months, it is a great idea to treat your hair once a week to a deep conditioning treatment. This will help replenish the moisture which tends to be depleted from things such as dry heat and the cold winter air. Choose a deep conditioning treatment like our H&H Science Deep Detox Treatment that contains high doses of Keratin and moisturizing agents. To lock in moisture, leave this anti-aging hair masque on for 20 minutes in the shower or on overnight on slightly damp hair for the most restorative treatment.
- Add Shine. If your hair is looking as drab as the weather, add a clear gloss mist to add instant shine. It will seal moisture in the cuticle of your hair and extend the life of your current color. Choose one that is lightweight, non-greasy and that does not weigh the hair down and that contains hydrating humectants and natural botanicals, like our H&H Healthy Shine High Gloss Mist. A couple spritzes of this mist adds instant shine.
- Layer with care. Ever wonder how you got that giant dreadlock-like gnarl at the nape of your neck? It is a result of the friction caused by layering your clothes over your hair. When putting on your winter sweaters and scarves, part your hair down the back of your head in the middle as if you were making low pigtails, pull towards the front, then wrap your scarf around your neck.
One unexpected secret to keep your hair looking good in the winter is to invest in a humidifier. I know that you are thinking that humidity equals frizzy hair, but when you have the heat on, their air can become very dry and the humidifier helps stop your hair and skin from feeling dry.
Cheers to Healthy, Hydrated Hair this Winter!